Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rare Short-eared Owl in Bartow County, Georgia

I had the pleasure of adding the Short-eared Owl to my birding Life List a couple of weeks ago. This cute owl had been sighted at Drumond Swamp....which is only a couple of miles from my home and is a birding hotspot. I had been reading the ebird alerts about this sighting for a few weeks and finally had a day off. When I arrived at dusk another birder was there with his camera and high powered lens in place. Another birder from Atlanta joined us a few minutes later. 

We waited and at approximately 6:00 pm the Owl appeared out of nowhere. For 15 minutes we were given the show of our lives. It ended when he caught his dinner at 6:15. This was a heart-thumping encounter. He/she flew within 20 feet of us. I didn't get any pictures but the birder with the camera, Lance Marvel has been kind enough to allow me to share his photos taken that special night.





Many thanks to Lance for allowing me to share these photos. Visit his Filckr photos Nuthach74's to see more of his outstanding bird captures.

Side note: I also added Sandhill Cranes to my Life List. They were flying North over the swamp in 2 waves. This was a great day for birding. 

Wishing Peace, Love, Health, and Wealth to ALL!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails