Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Beaver Lodge at Drummond Swamp ~ Bartow County, Georgia, USA

Beaver Lodge ~ Drummond Swamp


In all my years I have seen many Beaver Dams but this is my first time seeing a Beaver Lodge and I realized that I really don't know much about these odd rodents.....yes they are in the rodent family. 

After a Google search this is a few fun fact about this interesting critter that I found on National Geographic .

They are second in manipulating and changing their environment. We humans are number one. Not surprised that we are first. 

Beavers are one of the largest rodents on Earth. 

They are monogamous. Mom and Pop live in they Lodges or Dams with newborns (kits) and  yearlings born the previous spring.  I find this fact very sweet.

Entrances into their wood and mud homes is always underwater. 

They are Herbivores eating leaves, bark, twigs, and water plants and can live an average of 24 years. 

With their paddle shaped tail which they use as a rudder can swim up to 5 miles per hour. Plus they can hold their breath underwater for 15 minutes. Wow!

Photo source: National Geographic
I enjoyed learning about our fellow developer. Hope you did as well. 

Wishing Peace, Love, Health, and Wealth...to ALL!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails