Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Carolina Wren's Nest

Carolina Wrens are known to nest near people and in some very odd places. I have had this perky small wren around my yard for years but have never found where they were nesting. My son Ryan has had them nesting in his work/storage shed for the past few years. He gets fussed at every time he opens the door and tries to enter.  


This past weekend Ryan was here working on my camper when a bird flew out of an old basket perched precariously on a tall plant rack. It flew so darn fast that we both thought it was a female Northern Cardinal just by the streak of color. Then it started fussing in a nearby tree. Ryan immediately  recognized that right away as an upset Mama Carolina Wren. 


Later Mama Carolina Wren sat tight on the nest while I took this picture...
She is hiding quite well inside her hut-like nest. Click to enlarge the photo to get a better look. This is my first time seeing their interesting nest.  Click To Read More....





I found this interesting info on Cornell University's premier bird guide website:   All About Birds 


 Male and female Carolina Wrens build their nests together. One member of the pair may stay at the site while the other gathers material. The first nest can take a week or more to build, but later ones take shape in as few as 4 days. The bulky nest is cup-shaped, usually domed, with a side entrance and often a woven extension like a porch or entrance ramp. It's loosely constructed of a great variety of materials such as bark strips, dried grasses, dead leaves, pine needles, hair, feathers, straw, shed snakeskin, paper, plastic, or string). The female lines the nest's inner bowl and may add nest material after incubation has begun. Nests may range from 3 to 9 inches long and 3 to 6 inches wide.
Nest Placement

Cavity
Carolina Wrens nest in open cavities 3–6 feet off the ground, in trees, overhangs and stumps. The first nest is sometimes built on vegetation-shaded ground. Near homes, they're versatile nesters, making use of discarded flowerpots, mailboxes, propane-tank covers, and a variety of other items. Their nests have even been found in old coat pockets and boots. Males often build multiple nests before the pair makes a final selection.
I also learned at this site that they will sometimes eat frogs and snakes!!! Click the link to learn more about these cool birds.
Back to my son Ryan. He gave me an early and great Mother's Day gift. My air conditioner died a couple of weeks ago. He installed my new one. 
Sadly my 1970's camper has seen better days. My bedroom floor has suffered from water damage from my hot water heater rusting out a few years back and a leak in back. 
Poor Ryan...didn't want to give me the news how bad the damage was when he pulled up the carpet and realized how the camper floor was constructed. He bought me some time by "doing what he didn't want to do" by covering the sagging floors with plywood and tried to eliminate the leaks on the back wall.
I was very impressed that he cut this piece of plywood perfectly. The final piece was a perfect fit also. 
My son gave a special gift that truly helps me to be more comfortable. 
I'm blessed.

Visit
For Great Bird Blogs


Wishing Peace,Health,Wealth,and Love...and a Happy Mother's Day to all Moms!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails