Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Blue Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings Have Arrived!

Last Wednesday (04/25/12) was a wondrous day for this back yard birder! While taking a mowing break I got this pic...
This is my first sighting of the beautiful male Blue Grosbeak. They winter in South America and always head northward to their nesting grounds with the Indigo Buntings...

A female House Finch was sharing the turned-down mason jar feeder with this male Indigo Bunting. The females of both these bird will arrive in a few days.  


Every couple of days I turn this feeder down since many a good seed gets trapped in the bottom. I am a frugal birder.


Yesterday (04/26/12) the Brown-headed Nuthatches fledged. I cleaned out the nestbox and took the portal off. Maybe the Eastern Bluebirds will return and nest in one of my Bluebird Houses.


Some parting bird shots....
Brown-headed Nuthatch feeding a babe the day before fledgling the next day.

I have noticed not to expect newly fledged babes to visit my feeders. It appears that the parent(s) teach them to forge for food in the wild before teaching them to eat at easy food sources such as.... bird feeders. 
How about that?
Wishing Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to ALL!  

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails