Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Birding on Kennesaw Mt,GA ~ World Bird Wednesday

Last Saturday (09/24/11) was National Public Lands Day. Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park is listed as an Important Birding Area and is about half way between my home and Atlanta.
Note: If you are interested in birding and/or the Civil War you will love this park! 


The Atlanta Audubon Society sponsored a morning bird walk led by birding pro Giff Beaton.



That's him just in front of me in the blue t-shirt. He was amazing because he could ID all the birds by their calls and songs. One good tip he shared was that Warblers will join a group of Chickadees and Titmice during migration. I didn't know this. Many birds were heard that I didn't get to see. But....


I got to add three birds to my Life List. The Blackburnian Warbler, Hairy Woodpecker, and the only bird I was able to get a half-way decent picture....the Black-throated Green Warbler. You may wish to click on the images to enlarge.





This bird was a tough to capture. Heck....it was near impossible due to the leaves and distance. I confess that I used my binoculars more than my camera. 


Well....at least this view held still. There was some fog. 




It was also Volunteer Day. So I helped dig the trench for this rock wall for a flower bed in front of the Visitors Center. 




There were many volunteers so this was completed very quickly. It was great to be able to give back a little bit to this park that hosts so many birds and it was very cool to meet other birders. What can I say....3 Lifers....over rode my aching back. I left as a very happy camper!


Check out what other birds are making an appearance on World Bird Wednesday!


Wishing Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to ALL!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails