Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saving Dobbins Mountain

I was invited to a Hike and Learn at the Rollins Ranch located near me in Cartersville,Georgia. The purpose was to see that the mountain (also known as Magic Mountain) was a pristine woodland and home many species of birds and wildlife. 


After turning into the Ranches' drive I drove pass the well kept grounds and ponds on the winding road following the Green Arrow signs. I rolled my window down and heard Eastern Bluebirds singing which made me feel right at home.  I leisurely drove to the starting point of the Hike.


I got there early enough to mingle and meet the other hikers. One of note was Giff Beaton . He has written several books on bird/wildlife in Georgia. Dang....I forgot to bring my book for him to sign. The Atlanta Audubon Society was represented as was the Defenders of Wildlife . 


We were all here to Learn why this mountain needed to be saved. The Georgia DOT wants to blast it's way though this mountain to create a road that links I-75 to Rome,Georgia. This has been an ongoing fight for months. Visit Coalition for the Right Road to get the full story.


After a briefing showing where the proposed road would cut though the mountain....




.....we started on our 6 mile hike up and down the mountain.




 This Pond Slider had dug a hole and was laying eggs by one of the ponds. 



I learned that magnesium was once mined here during WWI. This makes it an Historical Site.




A little Black Racer greeted us for brief moment. I'm lucky to have gotten his picture before he vanished.




At one point of this climb I wasn't sure I could make it. But I did!!!




Although I didn't get any "bird shots"....many birds were singing and calling. I tried to stay close to Joshua Spence who is the Naturalist documenting the birds on this mountain. He ID'ed by sound the White-eyed Vireo and Blue-headed Vireo. Two birds I have yet to see but I can now say I have "heard" them. 


Joshua has documented 79 species of bird so far on this beautiful mountain and surrounding grounds. 




I was very impressed with his bird knowledge and "ear" for their songs/calls. 


Hopefully, these grounds will be listed as an Important Birding Area (IBA). After hiking and seeing this place for myself....how could I not support this cause? This is for our future generations.


Edit: I'm adding this short YouTube video. It speaks for itself.  




If you would like to help stop this road please take a moment to sign the online petition. Here is the link: Coalition for the Right Road . Thanks in advance!


What would you do if this was happening in your county? 


Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to ALL!!!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails