Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Beginner Hiker's Joy

I think I am getting hooked on hiking. Yesterday I hiked Pine Mountain in Cartersville,Georgia for the second time. Last March I hiked it to get a good view of the Super Moon or Perigee Moon. It was fun to hike with a friend and many others that evening but it was very cool hiking alone. (Yes...I know it isn't advised to hike alone. I did tell my Mom and a few others and took my cell phone. I am hard-headed at times and refuse to live in fear.)


With my being alone I could listen to the sounds of the forest. I heard and briefly sighted a Pileated Woodpecker flying though the trees. Boy do they make you feel as if you are in a jungle! I heard Chickadees, Blue Jays,Crows, and a couple of others I couldn't ID. 



The trail passed by these lovely ferns and an interesting hollow stump. Once on top a couple of large birds circled twice but I couldn't get a closer capture. I'm not sure what their ID were....maybe first year Bald Eagles (???).  This beautiful Black Swallow Butterfly hung around long enough for me to get a couple of shots. The view of Lake Allatoona and Red Top Mountain is awesome!


I was mistaken about the length of this hike in my first post. 1.57 miles is the round trip length. Sorry for any confusion. It did feel like 1.57 each way that first hike.


Hiking or walking around on a flat trail seems kinda boring to me now that I have hiked a couple of mountains. I hope to get in good enough shape to hike part of the Appalachian Trail come Fall.


Happy Father's Day to all the Dads of the World!


Wishing everyone Peace, Health,Wealth, and Love!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails