Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First Spring Male Blue Grosbeak & World Bird Wednesday

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that one of the male Blue Grosbeaks looked different. A quick check in my Field Guide confirmed my thoughts that he was a first Spring male. My guess is that the mature male is his Dad and the youngster has returned to where he hatched last year.


Notice his head has the blue feathers but his body still has the brownish tones of a juvenile with a mix of a few blue feathers. This is my first sighting of a first spring male...so I am very thrilled!




Now a couple of shots of his Dad so you can compare the two. 






These birds nesting across the Southern United States with a peak North in the Midwest. They like wild shrubby areas. A Finch seed blend with a high content of white millet plus black oil sunflower seeds will attract them to feeders. The ones that nest here prefer the water-garden for drinking and bathing. I have never seen one visit my bird baths.


Visit Springman's World Bird Wednesday to see cools birds from around the World!


Wishing Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to ALL! 

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails