Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Nest Egg Score is.....

Carolina Chickadees: 4 
Eastern Bluebirds: 0


This is a shot of the Carolina Chickadee's nest with the 4 little, tiny eggs....




Chickadee eggs are super fragile. They will break at the ever so slightest touch. I learned this the hard way a couple of years ago when removing a nest with eggs that was abandoned due to Eastern Bluebirds overtaking the nestbox and building a nest on top. I was a nervous wreck as I slipped the Chickadee's nest out from under the Blues nest. I was advised to do this as a precautionary act to ensure that the Bluebird nestlings would be out of reach of predators. 


Using a hand mirror helps one to see inside the nest cup. I have to admit that I was very disappointed to find no eggs. We have had rotten weather for the past week. Hopefully, the Blues will return and start a family this week. The nest does look complete. 




NEWS ALERT:  A male Ruby-throated Hummingbird was spotted at my feeder this afternoon. Follow their migration northward by clicking Here  for a view of the Migration Map....Their appearance is always a JOY!
Y'all in my area need to get those feeders up and running!!! ( I took this shot a couple of years ago. It is my so far favorite.)






Wishing All....Peace, Health, Wealth, and LOVE! 

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails