Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

World Bird Wednesday ~ Eastern Towhee

My old and very much beloved Field Guide listed this bird as a Rufous-sided Towhee. This bird was renamed to distinguish it between the Spotted Towhee which lives in the Western States. 

Eastern Towhees are large sparrows. They have a cute backward jump and scratch jump to search for insects and seeds. Undergrowth is their favorite habitat but over the years I am seeing them in the open areas in my yard. They have a distinct call so I always know when one is flying in. Eastern Towhee Songs/Calls will give you more information about this very cool bird. 

I am blessed to see them every day. These are my most recent photos of a very handsome male.



Note: In Southern Georgia some Eastern Towhees will  have white eyes. 

Please check-out the other birding sites that have entered this very fine meme and consider joining! You are just one click away to seeing some great birding blog!!!


Wishing ALL....Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails