Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Summer Tanagers

I will never forget my first sighting of a male Summer Tanager. It was on a late Spring day in 2009. While sitting outside practicing with my new camera this beautiful bird flew to the bird bath. At first I thought it was a male Cardinal.  Quickly I realized this bird had different features. As you can see in the only photo I was able to get. He was gorgeous!  




I had to look this bird up and was delighted to add him to my Life List. These birds' diet consist of mainly fruit, wasps, and bees. So...don't expect to see them at a seed feeder. In the east they live in Pine-Oak woods. This is the type of woods that surrounds my yard/garden. They winter in Central and South America. 


I have only caught a glimpse of the male since then. Last Fall a female visited a bird bath which was a huge thrill. Forgive my makeshift bowl.:)



Last week I was lucky to capture this female at my water garden. They must be migrating. 






I hope you enjoyed meeting these shy but very pretty birds. To learn more about them and to hear their delightful voice visit this link at WhatBird: Summer Tanager

Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to You All!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails