Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

A Hawk ID In Question!

You may remember my post on October 3th about the Hawk who recently visited my bird bath. I felt it was an immature Sharp-Shinned as did a few others. Now I'm not so sure. I posted a couple of the pictures on the Bird Watching forum at Birds&Blooms and a lady who is very,very good at ID'ing birds feels this Hawk is to large for a Sharpie and is an immature Red-Shouldered Hawk. After studying my Field Guides and online sites I am still confused but admit she could very well be correct. Adult Hawks are much easier to ID than the immatures or juveniles. 


Yesterday just as I was leaving for work what I believe to be the same immature Hawk landed on a fence post next to my water garden. I did get a few photos before he flew into the woods. 






I had hoped by getting a good look at the tail, I would be able to get a firm ID. However, I am still confused. Such is the life of a Bird Watcher. It is an ongoing challenge to correctly ID certain birds. This is just one reason I love this hobby. 


If anyone knows for sure what Hawk this is please let me know!


Oh....I was a few minutes late for work yesterday because of this handsome bird. Luckily, I didn't get into trouble. :)


Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to ALL!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails