Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak...Fall Migration has Begun!

I took the day off to prepare for an important job interview tomorrow. While I was struggling with my printer (why do they act up when you really need them to print?) I noticed my first migrating bird...a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak! Their nesting range is just north of me....so I only get to see them in early spring and fall. Some years they will past me by so this was a thrilling sighting!




Let's see that red breast.




He tried to feed at the squirrel proof feeder. It is meant for smaller birds but he gave it a good try. Shortly he found the covered platform feeder. 




This prompted me to buy a new feeder this afternoon. It has the spring bar that closes when critters heaver than birds land on it. Yep...I'm talking about squirrels and rats and opossums. They all love to raid feeders. 


It wasn't more than 15 minutes before the birds found this new feeder! I filled it with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) since this one seed attracts more songbirds than any other. Normally it can take a couple of days for birds to accept a new feeder.  I am one happy Birder!!!


A Tufted Titmouse was the first to visit but he/she was to quick to get a capture. This male Northern Cardinal was the next visitor. 




It didn't take long for the male Rose-breasted Grosbeak to decide this feeder was safe.




Oh how I enjoy watching and helping our native birds to thrive! Can you imagine a world without their entertaining antics, beauty, and pleasing songs?  What a depressing thought.  Please do what you can to preserve our wildlife and their ever shrinking  habitats. Their are many ways you can do this. I suggest that you start in your own back yard.  Need help on how to start? Check out my next post.


Wishing y'all Peace, Health, Wealth, and of course....Bunches of LOVE!



ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails