Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

European Starlings In The U.S.

Edit: For some reason the Funnies for Sunday posted beneath this post.  Please scroll down to read my latest. Sorry for the confusion. Heck...I am confused!


These pictures aren't the greatest so I added the talk bubbles to add some interest and a tiny bit of humor. Read on to find out why European Starlings are not on my list of Favorite Birds. (You can click on the second picture to enlarge it for an easier read.)






European Starlings are not native to the U.S. They will bully and sometimes attack the eggs and nestlings of our native cavity nesting birds to obtain the nest site. Purple Martins have suffered perhaps the most from this imported bird. They are not covered by our Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Which means in some areas (check local state laws) one can humanely eliminate this bird. To learn more about European Starlings in the U.S. Click on this link to the Sialis website's interesting article: All About Starlings. It includes why these birds were released in New York City back in 1890 and 1891. 


I have yet to face a problem with Starlings and hope I never do. It would be really hard for me to kill any bird. I have to admit that in the right light Starlings can be very pretty. But...after watching a Video on YouTube showing one attacking Purple Martin nestlings and the parent trying to defend her young, I wish I could gather them all up and ship them back to Europe...where they belong.


Wishing Peace, Health, Wealth, and Love to everyone! I hope you can find the time to enjoy Nature this weekend.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails