Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My New Bird Field Guide

My old Field Guide was published in the 1970's. I have used it for over 30 years. It is like an old friend but it is so out-of-date. Many things have changed in the world of birds. One example is that i it says the female Cowbird is grey. No wonder I was confused when one showed-up a couple of months ago. Anyway I will keep it as this is where I have my Life List of Birds recorded. Here is a photo of my well-used Field Guide. It is a dinosaur!




During my birding friend's recent visit I took a good look at his Field Guide and really liked it. So I ordered one for myself from Amazon.  I got a great deal plus it took just a few days for me to receive it.  There are many great features to The National Geographic Field Guide To The Birds of North America.  It includes every species seen in North America (even the
ones extinct!), has thumbtabs for finding birds quickly, really neat informative
flaps that can be used as placeholders, and has a weather-resistant cover. It also has about 700 range maps and a great section on accidental visitors. You never know who might show-up since birds don't read books or maps.


One day soon I hope to go birding in the Midwest, West, Canada, and Mexico. With this Guide I won't have to purchase ones for those regions.


I know there are many very good Field Guides out there and it can get confusing when trying to settle on one. Overall I give this one Five Stars. 


Well, this is my first book review. I don't know if I bored y'all to tears or not.:) 


In closing this is a recent picture of one of my Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. Thankfully, she perched on a branch since getting one in flight doesn't seem to be in the cards for me at this point in time.  Should I ever get a decent flight picture believe me y'all will be the first to see it!




Wish All Peace, Love, Health, & Wealth! 
Hope you take some time to enjoy the Birds.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails