Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Discouraging Nuisance Birds

My popular mason jar feeder has been taken over by Mourning Doves, the Cowbird pair, and the male Red-Wing Blackbird. These birds would empty the feeder everyday.  The little Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks have hardly had a chance to grab a seed. 


Since I prefer a passive approach in discouraging nuisance birds, this is my plan.  I have a large squirrel proof feeder which also prevents larger birds from feeding.  It has 3 compartments.  Normally I fill all 3 with black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) for the past couple of weeks I have been filling the middle one with the finch seed blend and hoped the Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks would find and accept the new feeder.  


Happily I spotted both birds on this feeder this past week.  Haven't been able to get a picture of the Indigo at the feeder yet but did get this picture of the male Blue Grosbeak.




Here he is on the hook that the feeder is hanging from. He is singing. I hope he shows his mate where to get a meal in peace.




The Red-Wing Blackbird will visit this feeder but really doesn't like to cling to the wire cage for very long. He, the Cowbirds, and the Doves sometimes visit the covered platform feeder filled with BOSS but never hog it for very long.  I will leave the mason jar feeder empty for a while. Sure hope those dang Cowbirds move on soon!


Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!


"Let nature be your teacher." ~ William Wordsworth


Peace to All!



ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails