Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recent Bird Sightings and A Found Nest

It is always a thrill to see that my efforts to create a wildlife friendly habitat are paying off. I have noticed that some birds will not use a bird bath. So having a water source on or in the ground is important for certain birds.   I was lucky enough to witness this pair of Eastern Towhees visit my water garden.  This is the first time I have gotten a photo of a pair together.



This Blue Grosbeak prefers it also.






I like this picture because it shows the difference both the male Indigo Bunting and Blue Grosbeak at the feeder.  At a distance one can easily confuse the two.




At first I was a bit confused on the I.D. of this bird.  Rarely have I seen a female Blue Grosbeak visit a feeder.  I guess she likes where I relocated the feeder.  Edit:  This is a female Red-Wing Blackbird.  Sorry for any confusion.




This morning I heard a very distressed bird calling from the Pine Island in my yard.  Boy....this bird was upset!  I grabbed my camera and ran outside.  A Blue Jay was hollering and darting at two Crows.  When the Crows saw me they flew into the Woods.  That's when I noticed why the Blue Jay was so dang  mad.  The Crows were near her nest!  For years I have had birds nest in my bird houses but none in the trees in my yard.  Every spring I have hoped and prayed for at least one native bird to do so.  I am a big fan of Blue Jays.  They are not only pretty birds but are great "watch dogs" for Hawks and Snakes.  Here are a few pictures of the nest and a calmer Blue Jay.








Wishing All a Peaceful Day and hope you take time to enjoy Mother Nature wherever you hang your hat!  I've got some flowers to plant.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails